2.12.2013

XTERRA.

"Great things are done when men and mountains meet."
- William Blake



I used to have a recurring dream.  I would find myself slipping into it every now and then, and every time I experienced it, the details became clearer and clearer.  I've had few dreams that were more palpable and realistic than this one. Here is a brief description:

My eyes open.  I am in a dense forest.  I feel my bare toes grip the dark brown soil beneath me.  The cool earth feels wonderful to my soles.  I breath in the pure mountain air and at once feel full of life and vitality.  I begin to run, sprinting through the trees, enjoying perfect traction and control in my naked feet.  I run for a while, until a clearing opens up.  The once pine-filtered sun now explodes onto my skin as I approach a cliff, followed by a several-hundred-foot drop into the ocean below.  I begin to sprint faster until I reach the edge of the cliff...and jump.  
I feel weightless as I glide through the air.  I dive straight into the water and begin to swim, the water is fresh and clear.  I instantly feel at peace in the water and then dive down, void of any fear of drowning.  I then swim faster as I approach the surface and then launch upward like a dolphin.  Only, after I emerge from the water I keep going up and am flying.

Okay, that was a trippy dream right?  You might be thinking, "wow, I didn't know Ryan had completely lost his mind."  You're only half right.  Don't ask me why, but I continued to have this dream multiple times, and every time I had it, I longed for it to be my reality.  I felt perfect peace and a sense of unity with everything around me.  I wondered why it kept coming back...

***

During the years I've spent mountain bike racing I would often hear whispers of an event that was reserved for the most avid riders.  They spoke of tackling a mountain in three disciplines.  A mountain-lake swim, a grueling mountain bike race, followed by an excruciating trail run.
It was almost with reverence that they talked about "XTERRA."

I knew the first time I heard about it that it was something I wanted to do in my lifetime.  I considered it a very long-term goal.  I have always loved mountains.  I grew up spending a lot of time in the woods (and the reader's opinion of Ryan being a complete tree-hugging quack continues to progress...).
The mountains are sacred to me, as I have learned many lessons and gained valuable experience while visiting their splendor.  I have learned to enjoy them, but also to respect them.  Because of this, hearing about something like XTERRA triggered some curiosity.

Flash-forward a few years and we're back to 2012.  I had just finished my first triathlon at Yuba Lake (see previous posts).  I was immediately hooked on the sport and couldn't wait to do another one.  I thought about registering for one in Ogden the following week but for some reason felt a little unsure.  Then, as if some kind of heavenly omen, registration for the one and only XTERRA Off-Road Triathlon presented itself to me.  I don't even remember thinking about it; before I knew it, I had signed up to race in this challenging event.  

I got online and started doing some more research.  I found an awesome video that showed the entire race from last year.  The XTERRA Utah race at Pineview/Snowbasin just happens to be the National Championships for the sport of XTERRA.  I couldn't take my eyes off the screen as I watched stellar athletes (including Lance Armstrong himself...think what you will of him, he's still a beast) compete just an hour north of me in a battle of endurance, mental strength, and mountain toughness to become XTERRA Champion of the USA.  

 

I had since started training with BYU's triathlon team, but decided to take a break from their daily routines and break off into more mountain biking and trail running.  I had two weeks to train for XTERRA and wasn't going to waste a second of it, especially after my fiasco in the water back at Yuba.  I would ride pretty much everyday, up Provo Canyon to the Bonneville Shoreline trail, Sundance, Corner Canyon in Draper, Alpine Loop, American Fork Canyon, etc.  I love mountain biking.  It adds a finesse and technicality that you can't find in road biking.  It takes patience and maneuvering to climb up a 60-70 degree incline that's covered with huge, jagged rocks and boulders.  Being one with nature is also a plus :)
I wish these photographs did it justice.  The mountains in Utah provide an unexpected paradise, especially in the early fall months.

I've never felt more free and happy than when I'm running through the woods with nothing but shoes, shorts, and sunglasses. There are also lots of other benefits of training... 

You feel on top of the world riding 1000 + ft. above the canyon road.

Sometimes even gnats and flies want to join you so they take a ride on your face while you run.
Trail 157 up American Fork Canyon/Alpine Loop.  Probably one of my favorite trails to ride.





***

Before I knew it, two weeks had come and gone.  It was time for XTERRA!
I woke up long before the sun did, loaded my gear into my dad's car (he's a trooper for waking up with me and being such a huge support to my racing), and headed off to Pineview Reservoir.  I told myself I'd get some shuteye on the drive up, but that never happens.  I always end up having great discussions with my dad.  Those long drives together are some of my favorite memories.  Anyways, we finally arrived at Pineview and came around the corner to THIS view:
 

It was a gorgeous morning for a triathlon.  I started to feel it in my chest, that anxious/excited/nervous/scared/did I forget something?/the water looks cold/that guy has a nice bike/how much time do I have til the gun goes off?/how hydrated am I?/I need to find an outhouse feeling.  Pre-race atmosphere is always exciting. The speakers blare upbeat music and the announcers make regular reminders about packet pickup, start times, course descriptions, etc.  Everyone's anxious to get in the water and start the madness.



This race was different than Yuba.  At Yuba we set up our bike AND run stuff at one transition point.  Because XTERRA is a swim/mountain bike/trail run triathlon, we set up our bike gear just above the lake, but then set up the run gear up at Snowbasin, where the bike course ended.  Yes, that means the bike course was literally all uphill...You started at one elevation, and ended at a much higher elevation.  Reservoir to Ski Resort.  

I got inked (they tattoo your race number on your arms and sometimes hands, and then your age group on one calf and your distance on the other), and then started setting up T1.
After setting up T1 (bike), my dad and I drove up to Snowbasin to set up T2 (run).  I had to take a shuttle back down to the lake for the start, so my dad had to drop me off and go park somewhere to watch.  Turns out there was only one shuttle left going down and they were about to leave when I got there!  Add that to my already anxious/panicking heart.  I hurriedly set up my stuff, made sure I wasn't forgetting anything (you kind of become obsessive compulsive when it comes to these transition areas, seeing as how you can't waste any time between disciplines), and hopped onto the shuttle.  I enjoyed the shuttle ride down with other racers.  I love triathletes! Salt of the earth (literally because we sweat so much and when the sweat evaporates all that's left on your face is salt :)).

T1
I made it down to T1, made last adjustments to my bike, took a second to gawk at the Pro's bikes, put on my wetsuit and cap, and started stretching.  Because of the whole parking situation, my dad and I agreed that he wouldn't be able to be at the start, but that he'd wait by T2 and see me come off the bike.  This was a bummer because having him at the start helps me stay motivated.  But it was okay.



Pro's. 

It really was a perfect morning.

Getting inked before the race
Here we go!

Just as I was about to get in the water and start warming up, a hand touched my shoulder.  I turned around and it was my dad! He had figured out a way to make it down for the start.  He said, "there's no way I was gonna miss the start."  I was filled with gratitude for his support.  I love that man.


Let's pray this goes better than the swim at Yuba!
Me and Papa Russ
I positioned myself at the far right side of the pack this time.  I thought I'd stay as far to the inside of the swim course as possible so I could get some open water and establish a rhythm.  After some delays in the start and over a thousand antsy racers, that sound came almost out of nowhere; it was the sound that startled us all like horses, causing us to take off as fast as we could...

Bang!



to be continued...




1 comment:

a. dancepants said...

WHAT?! Blogs are not allowed to have cliff hangers. New Rule.