2.27.2013

For Judd.

“For neither birth, nor wealth, nor honors, can awaken in the minds of men the principles which should guide those who from their youth aspire to an honorable and excellent life, as Love awakens them”

- Plato



One of the many frustrating nuances of human nature is the habit of taking things for granted.  How many times have you realized the true value and importance of something only after it is out of your life?  I am going to take a leap here and say that probably one of the things we fail most to regularly appreciate is our health.  There are many different levels of fitness, but most of us are relatively healthy individuals. Thanks to the omnipresent influence of social media and TV, we tend to equate a perfect body with perfect health.  This is not necessarily the case; and far too many people lament not having a modelesque waist size while forgetting that they have a functioning heart, a powerful brain, and clear lungs.

 

When these things are suddenly taken away, what was used every day becomes precious.

 

***

 

After completing XTERRA, I went back to training with BYU's Triathlon Team.  There's something about training with a group of people that have the same goals that is extra motivating.  The guys on the team push me and help me stretch more than I could on my own.  Our focus now was the last race of the season: 

 

PUMPKINMAN 

 

Pumpkinman is a big triathlon in Vegas.  It's actually in Boulder City, NV and begins at Lake Mead.  I was going to compete as a member of the BYU Tri Club, because Pumpkinman is a collegiate race.  We would be competing against other colleges such as Arizona, UC Boulder, Air Force, etc.  I was especially looking forward to this race because it would be my first Olympic distance race.  My first was a sprint and XTERRA was in between a sprint and Olympic. I began taking my training to a new level and was working harder and longer than I had previously experienced.  It felt good to see differences in my time, form, and endurance.  I was feeling confident about competing in Pumpkinman.

 

As they say, "when it rains it pours."  With only ONE week before the race, my body decided to shut down and I got terribly sick with walking pneumoniaI wanted to rest but had 3 difficult tests in the same week.  And worst of all, after an arduous 18-month battle against cancer, my sister's father-in-law passed away.

 

Now, I know what you might be thinking; "sister's father-in-law? That seems a little distant."  That couldn't be further from the truth.  My sister married her high school, and actually junior high sweetheart.  He grew up not far from our house and as long as I can remember Jaden has been a part of our family.  His father, Judd Kemp, was like an uncle to me.  I grew up knowing and admiring him.  Judd was a soft-spoken, humble man with an almost tangible dignity that he carried with him at all times.  His piercing eyes made it seem like he could see things invisible to others.  And when he smiled, it made you feel like you had done something that had impressed God.  He never said much, but what he said was always wise and calm.  Judd Kemp was an incredible and honorable man.

 



Race day was fast approaching and I wasn't feeling any better.  I wondered if I should even compete or if it would be dangerous to even try with my sickness.  I was exhausted from that week; physically, mentally, and emotionally.  I felt like all my hard work and training was wasted and I was back at square one.  I prayed hard for strength and the ability to complete the race.  During Judd's funeral I had an idea.  I decided I was going to compete in Pumpkinman no matter what, and that I was going 
 to dedicate my race to Judd.



 to be continued...


No comments: